Workforce Investment Boards
A key barrier to Workforce Investment Act (WIA) reauthorization has been the workforce system’s lack of ability to report a collective benefit-cost analysis of its programs and services. NAWB conducted a 2011 survey in which the top challenge reported by WIBs across the country was demonstrating benefit-cost metrics to funders and elected officials (55%). Only 58 percent of WIBs actually perform benefit-cost analysis on WIA and/or non-WIA funded activities. WIBs need to produce a collective, replicable analysis on what WIA activities generate economic benefits, and the costs of delivering these services, so that legislators can make informed funding decisions.
The NAWB and its partners have designed a national workforce scorecard model that reports the benefits and costs of WIA programs, along with the unique economic impacts of WIB operations on regional income and jobs. The Scorecard model is adapted to assess single or multiple WIBs as well as local, state or multi-state service regions.
The development of the WIA Scorecard was piloted with the South Central Michigan Works! WIB with several goals in mind:
- An understanding of the types of data local workforce boards need to collect, or are willing to collect.
- A WIA scorecard that contains the benefits and costs of WIA programs and that can be vetted by NAWB's chosen team of respected economists.
- A Business Services Scorecard assessing the regional economic impacts of the WIB's services to employers.
- An effective business services model to help track the required data for the Business Services Scorecard and to garner business and industry support.
- A communication framework to instruct WIBs how to share the results of the Business Services scorecard.
- A replicable report that educates WIBs on the output results and processes used.
To ensure that our information has met your needs, we ask that you provide your name and email address before downloading any files. This information will be kept strictly confidential. Please make sure to click the Submit button after entering your information.